Sunday, October 26, 2008

4 hours 36 minutes

Hi everyone.
Jeff, Lizzie and I completed the marathon today in Dino's honor. It was a good day, a sad day, a happy day. I had my cry before I picked Jeff up this morning. I was driving at about 5:15am and, like usual, a song came on that reminded me of Dino and the waterworks started.

The race started at 7. Jeff and I lost Lizzie at the half way mark because her husband and children were there so she stopped to say hi. Jeff and I felt strong most of the race. At mile 20 I put in my music to push through. I had a little talk with Dino too - "just push us through...one more hour...I know you think we're stupid for doing this, just push us!" Jeff and I ran a pretty strong pace the last 6 miles for us. I turned my music off at mile 25 and tuned back into Jeff. We finished together, holding hands, pointing to our TEAM DINO visors. I also sported a beautiful patch that Monica Martin made for me with wonderful pictures of Dino and the words VIVA LA VIDA on it. I didn't pin the bottom of the patch to my shirt because I wanted to flip it up and look at it when I needed to. I really helped and I'll treasure it always- Thank you Monica! XOXOXO

When I started this training, I would finish my runs visualizing Dino at the finish line, healing, strong, on the road to recovery. After he passed away, visualizing the finish line was difficult for me. Today just as we got our medals and made our way through the food line, I looked up to see Mary and Nick Scoppettone and Nick's fiance Amber. I just hugged Mary and bawled. I was SO happy she was there. I just can't explain how good it felt. In that moment, I think Dino was somewhere watching this, happy.

I don't know what to do with this blog now that I'm done with this marathon (and ALL future marathons). It was suggested that TEAM DINO should get together every year for some event (a normal sized event, 10K, hike, sprint triathlon). I would love that. Please write me with any suggestions on how to keep TEAM DINO alive. We could come up with an event next year and use that as a way to fund raise for Dino's memorial fund. What do you think? If you feel weird about posting, please email me andiklove@gmail.com

Thanks for your support everyone. Please keep Dino's family in your prayers and keep in touch with them. I think this network that has been created has a purpose.
God bless you all!
Do it for Dino!

Andi

3 comments:

Kim said...

YOU ARE AMAZING!! I wish I was at the finish line for the celebration and the bawl. Team Dino indeed. Congrats Andi, Lizzie and Jeff- way to do it for Dino.
Love, Kim

Kim said...

and in honor of your marathon...i participated in the Manskin..a 20 mile bike ride from Redhook to Fremont..with stops for local beer along the way and all of us were dressed in costumes. So much fun. Best costume- a scuba diver whose tank was full of beer that we could drink as we rode by. you know what a beer drinker I am- but in honor of Dino I had a few sips. I think doing something like this with 'the beer/nacho' element would be appropriate for celebrating Dino!

Unknown said...

Andi, Jeff and Lizzie,

What an incredible job you did for Dino! He had to have been there running beside you. Thank you all so much!

And thanks to all who supported you in your efforts. $2000 will be sent to Dino's fund at the Community Foundation of SC. Outstanding!

Love to all of you,

Mary (Dino's mom)