Monday, September 8, 2008

Progress

Hi all. I hope everyone is healing and taking care of one another. This is tough isn't it? We are all settling in to the long-term phase of accepting that he isn't here and wondering how to move on. How do we go longer than 10-15 minutes without thinking of him and feeling so sad all the time?

I knew Dino for a long long time. He saw me through a lot of ups and downs. Here's what I know - Dino wasn't the friend you called when you wanted to be coddled. He was the one you called when you needed a kick in the butt. I'm sure his closest friends will attest to this. He definitely gave me the "these were the cards you were dealt - now move on" speech many many times in my life. He was not one who would allow his friends to linger in anger or sadness. He *wants* us to be well. I know it. He would be pissed if he knew how sad we were all still feeling. So, as hard as it is, with Dino in mind I tell you all - it's time to accept (not forget) and find a way to stop feeling so sad. He would say the same if he could, I know he would. Now if I could just follow my own advice.

As for the fundraising....Some money is starting to come in. I spoke with his parents over the weekend about what expenses are left. To be honest, they aren't really sure. What it sounds like is we're talking thousands, as opposed to tens of thousands. That being said, there are attorney fees, and general expenses that accrued during 3 months of staying in Oakland with Dino. The thought at this point is to take some of the money and apply it to something special in Dino's name. The details of this are still being worked out. I hope this motivates all of you. Wouldn't it be great to start something in his name: a scholarship, a camp for kids with cancer....Any ideas? I would love to hear them.

As for my training - I ran 15.7 miles today with Jeff Ramos. It was tough. I've been battling aches and pains, but that is to be expected when doing something as unnatural as running 15 miles. Tonight I feel pretty good with the help of wine, ice, and ibuprofen. This weekend I have a 17-18 miler, then we back down to 14ish, then we do 20. Yikes. I'll keep you all posted.

Remember - to donate you can go into any wells fargo branch and make a deposit in the memorial fund called "the Dino Scoppettone donation fund". If you want to transfer online call me or email me for the account number.
206-706-3217 or www.andiklove@gmail.com
OR you can send me a check in Dino's name. 2807 NW 61st Seattle WA 98107

I miss him like crazy. Life wont be the same without him, but he's with us all - I know it. Our memories are happy memories and I think that's how he would want us to feel when we think of him. Can you do that? Do it for Dino.

XOXO
Andi

No comments: